Horticulturist Supervisor, Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden
The horticulturist supervisor is responsible for overall landscape maintenance and supervision of staff for one of the many gardens of the Arboretum.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Physically perform general landscape maintenance for specific garden area, including planting, mowing, weeding, spraying, irrigation, pruning, pest control, and trimming, according to written maintenance and safety standards.
- Supervise garden crew, volunteers, and interns assigned to area. Contribute to team effort.
- Assist with educational and research projects as required, example: horticultural demonstrations during special events.
- Establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Train and develop gardeners and landscape assistants in garden area to increase their knowledge of plant materials and landscape maintenance.
- Assist with plant record keeping and labeling for assigned garden area.
- Provide technical assistance when required.
- Responsible for securing all equipment at the end of the day and notifying supervisor of any supply needs.
- Supervise all garden staff on rotating weekends.
- Train, evaluate and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner.
Job Requirements Required:
Bachelor of Science degree in Horticulture or equivalent experience; good verbal and written communication skills; ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills; professional work ethic; ability to work flexible hours as needed; ability to lift up to 50 lbs; have Texas driver’s license in order to operate garden vehicles.
Landscape maintenance experience; experience with or knowledge of Texas perennials; supervisory experience; Texas Certified Pesticide Applicators license; active member of professional organization pertaining to specific collection(s) in garden area; knowledge of irrigation systems and other water feature equipment; ability to develop staff to work as a team.
Expertise or knowledge in Fern, Palms, Perennials or Container combinations preferred.
Send cover letter and resume to: Olga Estrada Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden 8617 Garland Rd. Dallas, TX 75218