Our dedicated employees and generous volunteers have helped the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden become one of the most outstanding display gardens in the United States.
Below is a list of all current job openings at the Dallas Arboretum. Full-time positions offer benefit options including health, dental and disability coverage as well as vacation, holiday and sick pay. We also have excellent opportunities in various departments for those desiring a hands-on internship experience. Unless otherwise noted, you may apply for a listed position by faxing your resume and cover letter to 866.341.6878. Please indicate which position you are applying for in your cover letter. Most employment offers are made pending criminal and drug screens, as well as physicals and credit checks for certain positions.
The Dallas Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOUSEKEEPER | $9/hour
The Dallas Arboretum is looking for an individual to complete janitorial duties in our exciting Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden. The housekeeper will maintain public restroom facilities and interior spaces within the garden area. Must be able to walk/bend throughout the day and lift up to 50 lbs if needed. Schedule is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Tuesday-Sunday. Uniforms and great benefits including vacation, holiday pay, etc.
Call 214-515-6516 for more information or apply in person, Monday-Friday between noon and 4 p.m. at Dallas Arboretum, 8525 Garland Road, Dallas, TX 75218
PLANT TRIALS SUPERVISOR
Responsible for day to day maintenance of research/trials gardens under the direction of the Plant Trials Manager
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Physically perform general landscape maintenance including layout, planting, weeding, watering, fertilizing, spraying, doing minor irrigation repairs, pruning, pest control, and trimming, according to written maintenance and safety standards
- Supervise garden crew, volunteers and interns assigned to area
- Contribute to team effort
- Assist with data collection including: mapping, labeling and photographs
- Under the direction of the Plant Trials Manager implement fertilization schedules and prepare documentation
- Train, evaluate and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner
- Responsible for securing all equipment at the end of the day and notifying supervisor of any supply needs
- Handle weekly maintenance of interior plants; report status to the Plant Trials Manager
- Responsible for unloading trucks, inventory, upkeep and watering of garden material
- Work on special projects for large garden displays
- Assist Greenhouse Manager with specific propagation tasks at the greenhouse location
- Ability to drive to multiple locations for work duties
- Ability to install, maintain and repair drip irrigation
- Good verbal and written communication skills; basic computer skills (working knowledge of Excel, MS Office, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to effectively organize work flow for timely completion and develop staff to work as a team; maintain professional work ethic
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; repetitively bend/stoop, move across property and work in all weather conditions and follow approved safety guidelines
- Ability to apply pesticides and chemicals with training provided; obtain and maintain Texas pesticide license
- Good photography skills preferred
- Texas driver’s license required to operate garden vehicles
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture or related field (may accept Associate’s Degree and three years related experience)
Please submit a resume indicating desired position to email@example.com.
GARDENER | $9/hr
We are currently seeking experienced gardeners to perform general landscape maintenance and laboring duties in the gardens under the supervision of a crew leader or horticulturist.
- Ability to physically lift, bend and stoop repetitively to plant, weed and move plant material.
- Capable of operating light duty power equipment.
- Some irrigation knowledge is helpful.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Availability to work in a weekend rotation.
- Ability to interact with garden guests as appropriate.
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions.
- A minimum three years relevant experience is required.
Design and cut the signs needed using a computer and Epilog laser system. Signs include plant signs, and various sign requests for on site directional or instructional needs.
·Organize and inventory current signs, in storage and in the garden.
·Aid project assistant with bed measurements outside in the garden.
·Maintain sign templates and create spreadsheets for the templates.
·Position all signs in the garden and monitor their condition.
·Oversee and document tree and bench dedication signage.
·Walk garden on weekly basis to review dedication signs and unlabeled materials. .
·Create and maintain inventory of trees on property and other significant collections.
·Competency with a PC, including but not limited to Corel Draw, and Microsoft Suite.
·Ability to learn to use the Epilog laser system.
·Be able to work with small power tools to attach signs to stakes, repair metal holders, etc.
·Familiarity with various small tools, i.e. Rivet gun, drill, etc.
·Ability to multi-task and be strongly self motivated and organized.
·Ability to work weekdays.
·Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; repetitively bend/stoop, move across property and work in all weather conditions and follow approved safety guidelines.
·Driver’s license required to operate garden vehicles if necessary.
Part time, 20-30 hours/week $10/hour
Submit resume NOW to firstname.lastname@example.org
TEMPORARY TEACHER POSITION
This position requires a teacher / outdoor educator to teach science based educational programs on site at the Arboretum to students from pre-k – 6th grade during the day and then travel to area schools to teach after school programs, three days per week.
This position is also responsible for developing and teaching scout programs, camps and workshops and will involve occasional weekend work.
- Teach and implement hands-on science after school classes at local elementary schools
- Teach active hands-on science lessons in an outdoor setting at the Arboretumfor several hours at a time in all weather conditions
- Develop and teach scout programs, camps and workshops
- Own transportation and ability to drive to area schools required
- Ability to implement pre-written lesson plan, maintain accurate records and pick up and return supplies to the Arboretum in a timely manner
- Prompt and timely arrival to schools essential
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to work outdoors year-round in varying weather conditions
Degree in elementary education or related field required. Certification preferred. Experience with scouts preferred.
9 a.m. – 5 p.m, three days per week, plus occasional weekends
This temporary part-time position starts immediately and finishes December 18, 2014.
$16 per hour for 20 hours per week, plus mileage reimbursement
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
GALLERY FACILITATORS (Garden Gallery Facilitators) | $11/hr
We are looking for enthusiastic and creative applicants to facilitate our 17 educational garden galleries in our new Children’s Adventure Garden. Gallery Facilitators will actively engage with and instruct the public using the extraordinary resources available in the garden. Facilitators are encouraged to explore interesting topics and bring creative programming ideas to the team. Teaching certificates, prior teaching experience (preferably with children), and a science background are desirable, but not necessary.
This is a temporary position through the end of 2014. Hours are between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Texas Teacher’s Aide Certificate and experience in pre-school/elementary school desired.
- Background in science or science education preferred.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time outside in the garden.
- Must be able to work Saturday and Sunday.
Criminal background checks will be conducted.
Please submit resume NOW to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GATE ATTENDANTS | $10/hour
Great opportunity for retired/semi retired individuals to work as gate attendants for the beautiful Dallas Arboretum. Greet guests and vendors as they arrive and provide parking directions/instructions as needed. Personality and good communication are a must. Must be able to stand for extended periods and step in/out of gate house. Schedule can be flexible within a 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. time frame with weekends and some nights also available. 25-30 hrs/week
Submit resume to email@example.com or call 214-515-6516.