Our dedicated employees and generous volunteers have helped the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden become one of the most outstanding display gardens in the United States.
Below is a list of all current job openings at the Dallas Arboretum. Full-time positions offer benefit options including health, dental and disability coverage as well as vacation, holiday and sick pay. We also have excellent opportunities in various departments for those desiring a hands-on internship experience. Unless otherwise noted, you may apply for a listed position by faxing your resume and cover letter to 866.341.6878. Please indicate which position you are applying for in your cover letter. Most employment offers are made pending criminal and drug screens, as well as physicals and credit checks for certain positions.
The Dallas Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Autumn at the Arboretum Festival
PARKING LOT ATTENDANTS | $10/hr
Hours are Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. | Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Ability to stand for extended hours to direct traffic
DRIVER | $10/hr
Hours are Monday-Friday, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Ability to safely drive 15 passenger shuttle van. Good driving record, Texas license, and verification of insurance required.
TELEMARKETER | $10/hr
September 2-November 26 | Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. | Friday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Great phone voice to encourage membership enrollment. Basic computer skills for data entry.
For above positions, please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate position desired.
Interviews on the Spot!
Wednesday , September 3 | 1-3 p.m.
CASHIERS/DATA ENTRY | $10/hr
Temporary needs during fall/holiday. Must be able to accurately handle cash and process ticket sales. Prior cash handling experience helpful.
HOUSEKEEPER | $9/hour
The Dallas Arboretum is looking for an individual to complete janitorial duties in our exciting Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden. The housekeeper will maintain public restroom facilities and interior spaces within the garden area. Must be able to walk/bend throughout the day and lift up to 50 lbs if needed. Schedule is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Tuesday-Sunday. Uniforms and great benefits including vacation, holiday pay, etc.
Call 214-515-6516 for more information or apply in person, Monday-Friday between noon and 4 p.m. at Dallas Arboretum, 8525 Garland Road, Dallas, TX 75218
PLANT TRIALS SUPERVISOR
Responsible for day to day maintenance of research/trials gardens under the direction of the Plant Trials Manager
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Physically perform general landscape maintenance including layout, planting, weeding, watering, fertilizing, spraying, doing minor irrigation repairs, pruning, pest control, and trimming, according to written maintenance and safety standards
- Supervise garden crew, volunteers and interns assigned to area
- Contribute to team effort
- Assist with data collection including: mapping, labeling and photographs
- Under the direction of the Plant Trials Manager implement fertilization schedules and prepare documentation
- Train, evaluate and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner
- Responsible for securing all equipment at the end of the day and notifying supervisor of any supply needs
- Handle weekly maintenance of interior plants; report status to the Plant Trials Manager
- Responsible for unloading trucks, inventory, upkeep and watering of garden material
- Work on special projects for large garden displays
- Assist Greenhouse Manager with specific propagation tasks at the greenhouse location
- Ability to drive to multiple locations for work duties
- Ability to install, maintain and repair drip irrigation
- Good verbal and written communication skills; basic computer skills (working knowledge of Excel, MS Office, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to effectively organize work flow for timely completion and develop staff to work as a team; maintain professional work ethic
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; repetitively bend/stoop, move across property and work in all weather conditions and follow approved safety guidelines
- Ability to apply pesticides and chemicals with training provided; obtain and maintain Texas pesticide license
- Good photography skills preferred
- Texas driver’s license required to operate garden vehicles
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture or related field (may accept Associate’s Degree and three years related experience)
Please submit a resume indicating desired position to email@example.com.
Under limited supervision, the horticulturalist is responsible for overall landscape maintenance and supervision of staff for specific garden area. This individual will oversee efficient productivity and timely completion of duties in assigned areas. He or she will also physically perform garden labor. The horticulturalist should be able to work in all weather conditions and contribute to the team effort.
Duties and responsibilities included but are not limited to:
- Physically perform general landscape maintenance for specific garden area, including planting, mowing, weeding, watering, fertilizing, spraying, pruning and trimming. Also includes pest control, trash removal and minor irrigation repairs according to written maintenance and safety standards.
- Supervise garden crew, volunteers and interns assigned to area. Contribute to team effort.
- Establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly and monthly basis under the guidance of the Senior Horticulture Manager.
- Train and develop gardeners and landscape assistants in garden area to increase their knowledge of plant materials and landscape maintenance.
- Train, evaluate and effectively manage/schedule personnel. Includes completing required personnel documentation in a timely manner.
- Assist with plant record keeping and labeling for assigned garden area.
- Provide technical assistance when required.
- Responsible for securing all equipment at the end of the day and notifying supervisor of any supply needs.
- Apply pesticides (when trained) using appropriate safety procedures as provided and according to departmental policies and procedures; supervision provided.
- Monitor irrigation system and pump systems (where applicable), repair minor problems and report malfunctions.
- Assist in group and special projects as required.
- Assist with educational and research projects as required (Example: horticultural demonstrations during special events).
- Act as Manager on Duty in weekend rotation to supervise weekend horticulture activity.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to effectively organize work flow for timely completion and develop staff to work as a team.
- Maintain professional work ethic.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, repetitively bend/stoop, move across property and work in all weather conditions and follow approved safety guidelines.
- Texas driver’s license required to operate garden vehicles.
- One year related garden/landscaping experience and experience with or knowledge of Texas perennials preferred.
- Knowledge of irrigation systems and other water features desirable.
- Supervisory experience desirable.
- Texas Certified Pesticide Applicators license preferred.
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture or related field (may accept Associate’s Degree and three years related experience).
GARDENER | $9/hr
We are currently seeking experienced gardeners to perform general landscape maintenance and laboring duties in the gardens under the supervision of a crew leader or horticulturist.
- Ability to physically lift, bend and stoop repetitively to plant, weed and move plant material.
- Capable of operating light duty power equipment.
- Some irrigation knowledge is helpful.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Availability to work in a weekend rotation.
- Ability to interact with garden guests as appropriate.
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions.
- A minimum three years relevant experience is required.
There are currently no part-time openings
GALLERY FACILITATORS (Garden Gallery Facilitators) | $11/hr
We are looking for enthusiastic and creative applicants to facilitate our 17 educational garden galleries in our new Children’s Adventure Garden. Gallery Facilitators will actively engage with and instruct the public using the extraordinary resources available in the garden. Facilitators are encouraged to explore interesting topics and bring creative programming ideas to the team. Teaching certificates, prior teaching experience (preferably with children), and a science background are desirable, but not necessary.
This is a temporary position through the end of 2014. Hours are between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Texas Teacher’s Aide Certificate and experience in pre-school/elementary school desired.
- Background in science or science education preferred.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time outside in the garden.
- Must be able to work Saturday and Sunday.
Criminal background checks will be conducted.
Please submit resume NOW to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GATE ATTENDANTS | $10/hour
Great opportunity for retired/semi retired individuals to work as gate attendants for the beautiful Dallas Arboretum. Greet guests and vendors as they arrive and provide parking directions/instructions as needed. Personality and good communication are a must. Must be able to stand for extended periods and step in/out of gate house. Schedule can be flexible within a 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. time frame with weekends and some nights also available. 25-30 hrs/week
Submit resume to email@example.com or call 214-515-6516.