Our dedicated employees and generous volunteers have helped the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden become one of the most outstanding display gardens in the United States.
Below is a list of all current job openings at the Dallas Arboretum. Full-time positions offer benefit options including health, dental and disability coverage as well as vacation, holiday and sick pay. We also have excellent opportunities in various departments for those desiring a hands-on internship experience. Unless otherwise noted, you may apply for a listed position by faxing your resume and cover letter to 866.341.6878. Please indicate which position you are applying for in your cover letter. Most employment offers are made pending criminal and drug screens, as well as physicals and credit checks for certain positions.
The Dallas Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PLANT TRIALS SUPERVISOR
Responsible for day to day maintenance of research/trials gardens under the direction of the Plant Trials Manager
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Physically perform general landscape maintenance including layout, planting, weeding, watering, fertilizing, spraying, doing minor irrigation repairs, pruning, pest control, and trimming, according to written maintenance and safety standards
- Supervise garden crew, volunteers and interns assigned to area
- Contribute to team effort
- Assist with data collection including: mapping, labeling and photographs
- Under the direction of the Plant Trials Manager implement fertilization schedules and prepare documentation
- Train, evaluate and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner
- Responsible for securing all equipment at the end of the day and notifying supervisor of any supply needs
- Handle weekly maintenance of interior plants; report status to the Plant Trials Manager
- Responsible for unloading trucks, inventory, upkeep and watering of garden material
- Work on special projects for large garden displays
- Assist Greenhouse Manager with specific propagation tasks at the greenhouse location
- Ability to drive to multiple locations for work duties
- Ability to install, maintain and repair drip irrigation
- Good verbal and written communication skills; basic computer skills (working knowledge of Excel, MS Office, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to effectively organize work flow for timely completion and develop staff to work as a team; maintain professional work ethic
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; repetitively bend/stoop, move across property and work in all weather conditions and follow approved safety guidelines
- Ability to apply pesticides and chemicals with training provided; obtain and maintain Texas pesticide license
- Good photography skills preferred
- Texas driver’s license required to operate garden vehicles
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture or related field (may accept Associate’s Degree and three years related experience)
CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP MANAGER $50,000
The primary responsibility is to raise funds and achieve revenue goals through corporate and corporate foundations, for the Dallas Arboretum. This position will be heavy prospecting for new business, will manage a portfolio of donors at a $10,000 level and support the fundraising effort as directed by VP of Sales & Development. Candidate needs to be an effective writer with great attention to detail. Excellent communication and relationship building skills are required. Will work closely with the Major Gifts Director and will contribute to group effort.
- Excellent verbal and good written communication skills, using correct grammatical and professional writing techniques.
- Good computer skills (proficient in Excel, MS Office, Outlook etc.) and ability to learn donor database system.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective communication skills and time- management skills; professional work ethic and attire.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends/evenings as needed.
- Three years related fundraising or successful sales/promotion experience.
- College degree or related experience.
Submit resume NOW to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position starts early January
CHILDREN'S GARDEN FACILITY SUPERVISOR - $34,000
Responsible for the prompt care and maintenance of the physical property (non-horticultural areas) including Exploration Center, all restrooms and all storage facilities, including mechanical and electrical rooms in the Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden area. Assist in other garden areas as requested. Oversees work activity of janitorial staff. Primary focus is to provide clean, neat, safe facilities and services to staff and guests visiting the garden.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Schedule and oversee janitorial staff to ensure cleanliness of all restrooms and building structures related to the Children’s Garden as well as grounds within this area.
- Perform a daily walkthrough in early morning of all areas and buildings: outside restrooms, ticket booth, all exhibits and entrance gates to assure cleanliness; perform a second walkthrough of all outside restrooms and buildings in the afternoon. Assess and address any concerns or needs related to cleanliness, structural soundness and safety hazards with staff for appropriate and timely repair/ resolution to ensure the best possible guest experience.
- Maintain all janitorial closets, storage areas and exhibits ensuring all of DABS property is safe and organized. Create and maintain janitorial supply inventory. Recommend supply purchases to Facility Manager.
- Work with Exhibit Technician as needed to update/perform repairs. As directed, work HVAC water filter cleaning, mister cleaning and operations, fire panel calls and HVAC air filter changes.
- Coordinate completion of work orders for items arising from visual inspections performed during daily walkthroughs or as assigned by supervisor.
- Work closely with Education Department, Public Programs, and Volunteer Department on issues involving work orders based on approval from Facility Manager. Schedule work order completion as directed and keep supervisor or relevant staff person informed of progress/issues.
- Enter relevant maintenance/repair projects so log repair history is readily available.
·Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills; professional work ethic.
·Ability to physically oversee and direct all facility service functions within scope of authority.
·Ability to successfully lead staff in a positive and productive manner.
·Ability to work with audio-visual and information technology a plus.
·Ability to work flexible hours, including nights/weekends—schedule does include Saturday and Sunday.
·Three + years in facility services preferred. One year supervisory management desired.
·Bachelor’s degree desired.
Submit resume NOW to email@example.com
Please submit a resume indicating desired position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GARDENER | $9/hr
We are currently seeking experienced gardeners to perform general landscape maintenance and laboring duties in the gardens under the supervision of a crew leader or horticulturist.
- Ability to physically lift, bend and stoop repetitively to plant, weed and move plant material.
- Capable of operating light duty power equipment.
- Some irrigation knowledge is helpful.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Availability to work in a weekend rotation.
- Ability to interact with garden guests as appropriate.
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions.
- A minimum three years relevant experience is required.
No part-time positions are available at this time.
No temporary positions are available at this time.