People are our greatest asset, and our staff work tirelessly to assure that the visitor experience is an enjoyable one.
Our dedicated employees and generous volunteers have helped the Dallas Arboretum become one of the most outstanding display gardens in the United States. Below is a list of all current openings. Full-time positions offer benefit options including health, dental and disability coverage as well as vacation, holiday and sick pay.
We also have excellent opportunities in various departments for those desiring a hands-on internship experience.
Unless otherwise noted, you may apply for a listed position by faxing your resume and cover letter to 866.341.6878. Please indicate which position you are applying for in your cover letter. Most employment offers are made pending criminal and drug screens, as well as physicals and credit checks for certain positions.
Please contact the Human Resources Office at 214.515.6509 with any questions.
The Dallas Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PUBLIC EVENTS MANAGER
This is a great opportunity for someone with an event coordination and execution background to work at one of the most beautiful event sites in Dallas.
- Coordinate and facilitate Arboretum festivals and special events
- Assure satisfactory execution of event including overseeing all aspects related to event inception, contracts and logistics
- Monitor the use and care of Arboretum property during events
- Assure successful guest relations
- Ability to think creatively and propose new events to ensure successful attendance year-round
- Ability to monitor, oversee and physically direct activities related to the event on property from beginning to end
- Ability to manage multiple tasks through the use of effective communication skills and time-management skills
- Maintain a professional work ethic
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings as needed
- One to two years event planning/execution preferred
- College degree or related experience desired
Interested candidates should submit a resume to email@example.com.
PUBLIC EDUCATION MANAGER
The public education manager serves as a specialized teacher and a resource to both staff and volunteers. This person will focus on the areas that need the most science interpretation and interaction within the new and exciting Rory Meyers Children's Adventure Garden.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Help develop, initiate, train and conduct children's public activities, programs and exhibits within the garden
- Assist in the overall operational needs of the Children's Garden, i.e. opening, closing, etc.
- Ability to develop and implement successful and relevant educational activities related to nature and science
- Ability to walk the garden extensively during the day and engage the public in positive learning exhibits and activities
- Good organizational and program development skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to work as a cohesive team player
- Degree in education (preferably children's education)
- Five plus years experience in children's science is strongly desired
- Supervisory or oversight experience is helpful
This is a great opportunity to be an integral part of this dynamic new garden experience.
Sales and Special Events Opportunities
Please submit resume indicating desired position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPECIAL EVENTS MANAGER
This is a great opportunity for an exceptional individual to coordinate and execute special events, weddings, receptions, corporate meetings, etc. at the Dallas Arboretum, one of the premier locations for private events in the Dallas area.
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to follow through
- Excellent customer service skills required
- Must be able to work nights/weekends
- Some college desired
- Prior special event planning, catering, hospitality experience strongly desired
SALES STAFF ASSISTANT | $14/hr
This position is the first contact for clients inquiring about booking a special event at the Arboretum. The sales staff assistant will provide general information, answer inquiries about location availability, and make seated tea reservations.
- Must have good customer service skills
- Must have good computer and office skills in order to accurately record reservations
- Must be a team player
- Ability to interact well with the other Special Event staff
LEAD MEMBERSHIP SALES REPRESENTATIVE | $13/hr
The lead membership sales representative will help in all areas of membership. This person will contact members that need to be renewed, engage lapsed members, oversee calls made by the telemarketing staff, and work with volunteers to assist with membership sales at the front gate. The lead membership sales representative will need to maintain a good knowledge of Arboretum events and special activities in order to encourage new memberships, renewals and upgrades. Great phone skills are a must for this position.
Hours will include working evenings until 7 p.m. several nights a week.
SOCIAL/CORPORATE SALES REPRESENTATIVE | $30s
The Social/Corporate Sales Representative is responsible for actively soliciting and handling all inquiries for the social and corporate market. This person must also ensure that business is turned over properly and in a timely fashion for quality service delivery.
- Achieve venue rental revenue goals by closing and actively up-selling each business opportunity
- Implement the Arboretum’s service strategy in all aspects of the sales process
- Drive customer loyalty by delivering excellence through each customer service experience
- Identify, qualify and solicit new business to achieve revenue goals
- Use negotiating skills and creative selling abilities to close business
- Design, develop and sell creative catered events
- Some college desired
- Prior hospitality/catering/active successful sales experience a must!
Please submit a resume indicating desired position to email@example.com.
GARDENER | $9/hr
We are currently seeking experienced gardeners to perform general landscape maintenance and laboring duties in the gardens under the supervision of a crew leader or horticulturist.
- Ability to physically lift, bend and stoop repetitively to plant, weed and move plant material
- Capable of operating light duty power equipment
- Some irrigation knowledge is helpful
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English
- Availability to work in a weekend rotation
- Ability to interact with garden guests as appropriate
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions
- A minimum three years relevant experience is required
IRRIGATION ASSISTANT | $9/hr
This position will assist the Irrigation Technician by helping maintain the irrigation system around the gardens.
- Perform scheduled maintenance
- Make repairs to irrigation systems, pipes and irrigation heads as needed
- Report any malfunctions
- Assist in maintaining daily log of tasks
- Update paperwork for monitoring project status
- Assist in overseeing contractors for irrigation and pump repairs as directed
- Working knowledge of basic electricity and hydraulics related to an irrigation system including valves and controllers
- Working knowledge of various types of pumps, pumping systems and tools is necessary
- Working knowledge of methods and materials used in grounds and landscape area maintenance work is necessary
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs and repetitively bend/stoop and move heavy objects across property
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Must be able to work flexible hours, interact with garden guests as appropriate and be able to work in extreme weather conditions
- One year related irrigation maintenance and installation experience as well as knowledge of pump systems and other water features desirable
WATER FEATURE TECHNICIAN (CHILDREN'S GARDEN)
This person will be responsible for physically performing general and specialized maintenance and minor repairs to the Children’s Garden water features including fountains, pumps, ponds with fish and aquatic plants, and other related systems.
- Conduct water testing as needed and apply chemical treatment in accordance with industry standards and departmental policies
- Troubleshoot water feature system maintenance needs
- Fix minor issues or assist with coordinating vendors on maintenance and repairs to water features
- Maintain and properly store related equipment and supplies
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs and repetitively bend/stoop and move objects across property
- Must be able to read and understand maintenance user manuals, blueprints, and other related written documents
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English, work flexible hours, interact with garden guests as appropriate and be able to work in extreme weather conditions
- One year of experience in pool and /or water feature maintenance desired
This person is responsible for day to day greenhouse operations as directed by supervisor. The Greenhouse Supervisor also serves as an adjunct member of Plant Research area staff.
- Contribute to team effort
- Handle all aspects of propagation, including seed and vegetative
- Manage volunteers and staff during propagation
- Record, document and label all plant material propagated
- Implement the fertilization schedules and prepare documentation
- Keep records for all garden material
- Assist Research Manager within the Trial Garden by laying out plants and planting
- Ability to install, maintain and repair drip irrigation
- Ability to apply pesticides and chemicals with training provided
- Obtain and maintain Texas pesticide license
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays
- Must have a license to operate garden vehicles and box truck
- Must have a good driving record
- Bachelor of Science degree in Horticulture or equivalent greenhouse experience preferred
SPECIAL EVENT FACILITATOR | $12/hr
We are currently seeking several energetic event coordinators. This is a wonderful opportunity for individuals looking for extra income who love the world of event execution, weddings, receptions, corporate functions, etc. Special event facilitators will assist the Events Managers at the time of the event by helping with the vendor arrivals, set up, actual event oversight and execution with the customer. Prior experience in this area is desired. Hours vary based on event schedules.
Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FULL AND PART-TIME POSITIONS | $11/hr
The Arboretum is seeking college students who enjoy working with children for an exciting summer opportunity. Summer interns will work in our fun and lively children’s summer camps. Eligible students must have completed at least one year of college. Experience working with children is a plus.
Applications will be accepted March 1 – April 15. To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. On-site interviews are required and will be scheduled late March/early April. Applicants attending college out of state need to indicate availability to attend an on-site interview. Positions are filled on a rolling basis.
TEACHER FACILITATORS | $10/hr
This position is available during our beautiful spring floral festival, Dallas Blooms (late February to mid April). Teacher facilitators will actively engage and instruct the public within the Children’s Garden outdoor galleries and educational exhibits.
- Texas Teacher’s Aide Certificate desired
- Experience in pre-school/elementary school preferred
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
Criminal background checks will be conducted.
DATA PROCESSING | $10/hr
This is a great opportunity for temporary employment during our beautiful spring festival. Ideal candidates will have good data processing skills in order to process memberships accurately and quickly.
Apply now in person, Monday-Friday, between 9 a.m.-noon at 8525 Garland Road.